The committee, which at the end of August decided to pardon the Norwegian, withdrew the pardon after strong protests in Gambia reported TV 2 on Tuesday.
Gambian media reported before the weekend that the man’s pardon had been withdrawn after protests and misunderstandings.Norwegian police confirmed that they are working on verifying the information.
‘’We have also noted this information, and we are working to confirm this through our official channels.Currently, we have not received an answer from Interpol Banjul,” said police adviser, Iselinn Håvarstein of Oslo police district to TV 2 news channel.
On the 21st of August, president Adama Barrow’s press officer confirmed that a Telemark man (53), who’d been convicted of abuse of children and charged with assault in Norway, had been pardoned in connection with a religious holiday in the country.
“I can confirm that the Norwegian is one of the seven who were pardoned,” said press officer Amie Bojang-Sissoho to TV 2.
Uncertainty about the announced pardon became apparent on the 25th of August. Justice Minister, Ba Tambadou, stated that he had never recommended a pardon.